We’ve made some damn good burgers over the post couple of years but I believe we are going to have to put this one at the top! We combined free ranging Axis deer that Greg hunted in Texas with a black bear that Eddie hunted in Wyoming and man oh man did it make a great combination!
There is just something about sharing a hunting experience with friends and family but taking it to the next level and preparing that wild game, sitting at the table and reliving that adventure is what From Field To Table is all about for us.
The combination of the axis burger, carmelized onions, topped with our bear pastrami, then finished with a homemade, flavorful sauce was almost more than our tastebuds could handle.
We actually prepared this one for our new friends at the Bourbon, Birds and Brews podcast. You can check out the podcast we did with them here. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bourbon-birds-brews-podcast/id1538356340?i=1000512309513
All of our wild game is processed using MEAT equipment.
Recipe from Greg Ray. Idea stolen from Sam The Cooking Guy
- 1 pound of ground venison (we used axis and mixed it at 25% pork fat)
- Use your favorite spices to season your burgers. We used Freakin Greek from RecTeq along with some A1 for moisture
- Use cheese of your choice. (We used Havarti Cheese)
- 1 Whole white onion sliced
- Olive oil
- 1T Butter
- Kosher Salt
- 1tsp sugar
Black Bear Pastrami
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup thousand island dressing
- 1tsp of horseradish (use this to taste)
- Start with the onions, add olive oil to pan, heat on medium to medium high heat (You don’t want the pan super hot) add onions, salt and sugar. Let cook until onions start to caramelize, the sugar will help with the process.
- Mix ground meat with seasoning
- Make patties while onions are caramelizing
- Add A1 sauce to top of patties
- Mix pastrami sauce and adjust flavor by adding more horseradish for more heat if desired.
- Pastrami should be made ahead of time, slice thin to prepare to heat in cast iron
- Cook burgers on grill to rare or medium rare at the most (do NOT over cook)
- Add Pastrami Sauce to bottom bun, add burger with Havarti cheese
- Top with caramelized onions
- Top with pastrami
- Add more Pastrami Sauce to the top
Prepare yourself for the best burger ever![wpurp-searchable-recipe]Axis Burger With Black Bear Pastrami – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]