My love for potato salad started very early on. The cool tangy dish was the perfect side to serve next fresh caught fried catfish. Often times, making a batch was simply because it was great use for the leftover potatoes from a crawfish boil. There is even a debate in Louisiana weather to serve potato salad next to or in your gumbo. Growing up usually the first question asked at birthdays, graduations or any other big life event involving a spread of food was, “Who made the potato salad?”. So why not give this backyard favorite the respect it deserves?
While developing this recipe I wanted to elevate this summer staple and make it more than good ole dependable potato salad. I wanted to give it a different spin and make this a versatile year-round favorite. Maybe even, turn it into a dish that will become the star of your table. The addition of salty bacon, crunchy romaine lettuce and tangy tomato sends this dish over the edge. My hope is your name will be the name people want to hear the next time someone ask, “Who made the potato salad?”.
Recipe by Chef Lance Lewis
BLT Potato Salad
- 1lb Red or Yukon Gold potatoes. Cut into cubes approximately 2”x2”
- 4 boiled eggs
- 6 slices bacon cooked crispy
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- ½ cup mayo
- 1Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2tsp Hot sauce (crystal preferred)
- 1/2tsp garlic powder
- 1/2tsp onion powder
- 1/2tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add cubed potatoes, cover with cold water and bring to medium boil. Allow potatoes to cook until they are soft, approximately 20 min. once done drain and set aside to cool
- While the potatoes cool, cut boiled eggs in half and remove yokes and place yokes in a medium sized bowl. With the back of a fork smash yolks until the are no large lumps remaining.
- To the same bowl add mayo, mustard, white wine vinegar, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- With a whisk or spoon stir until all ingredients are well incorporated
- After everything is blended taste and adjust seasoning as needed and set aside. Remember bacon will add salt so you may want to adjust for salt once everything is blended together
- While potatoes cool, crumble bacon, medium dice boiled egg whites, tomatoes, romaine lettuce and green onion
- In large bowl add cooled potatoes and all other ingredients. Mix together in a folding motion pulling from the bottom over the tip until everything is well incorporated
- Once everything is well incorporated taste and adjust seasoning to desired taste.
- Serve and enjoy
Tips and add-ins:
- If you are looking for a lower fat option mayo can be cut in half with Greek yogurt or avocado
- The saltiness of bacon can be drastically different from brand to brand. To avoid over salting wait until the dish is assembled before getting aggressive with salt.
- If you do however over salt your dish you can add a little more fat or acid to balance the flavor
- If making this ahead of time wait to add tomatoes and lettuce until just before service so they remain crisp and fresh
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]BLT Potato Salad – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]
BLT Potato Salad