In this elk loin recipe, we used elk but you can use any venison, pork, or bear loin BUT BE SURE TO COOK THOSE TO INTERNAL TEMPERATURE of 155F.
Anything wrapped in bacon is always good, its been done a ton but adding this stuffing with cream cheese, more bacon, jalapeno, onion and mushroom really stepped up the flavor, plus you add in 30 minutes time in the RecTec and it’s just ridiculous!
Recipe by : Greg Ray
All of our outside cooking is done on RecTec Grills and we use Made With Meat equipment for all of our wild game processing.
Ingredients Elk Loin Recipe:
- 2 pounds of Loin (Backstrap) we used elk but you can use any venison or pork.
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning (We used Zarda Steak Seasoning)
- 8oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1C Chopped Portabella Mushrooms
- 4 to 6 Bacon Strips (Cooked)
- Butterfly the loin within 1/2″ of each end to create a pocket (Do NOT cut all the way to end, otherwise you will lose all your stuffing)
- Rub small amount of olive oil over entire loin
- Season entire loin with seasoning (don’t forget inside the pocket as well)
- Set loin on top bacon strips, wide enough to cover entire loin
- Stuff pocket with cream cheese mixture, but don’t over stuff
- Squeeze the loin pocket together
- Wrap loin with bacon strips
- Season outside of bacon with favorite seasoning
- Sprinkle Paprika on top side of bacon (This will give bacon an awesome color when cooked)
- Turn smoker/grill on to 350F
- Season Grate with oil
- Cook until internal temp of loin is 130F. About 30 minutes, bacon should be done at this point as well. (Unless cooking wild pork or bear loin, cook to at least 155F)
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes
- Slice in between bacon slices
- Leave cream cheese out of refrigerator to soften
- Chop all your vegetables
- Cook your 4 to 6 slices of bacon
- Remove bacon (leave enough grease to cover bottom of pan)
- Chop bacon
- Add vegetables to bacon grease
- Cook long enough to soften jalapeno and onion
- Add vegetables and bacon to cream cheese and mix
- You can use any combinations of vegetables to mix with the cream cheese for the stuffing. Another favorite to add is roasted Red Bell Peppers.