Here is a perfect example of why we love what we do and why we believe we have the best clients. Ryno and Em had the opportunity to work with Kathy and Doug during one of our From Field To Table events and immediately after a long range school.
Kathy and Doug apparently enjoyed their time enough with Ryno and Em that they invited them down to their Florida property to hunt gators! This recipe is a direct result of what is so great about what we do and the awesome clients we get to spend time with!
Recipe by From Field To Table Instructor Ryan Long
We use RecTec pellet smokers/grills for all of our outdoor cooking and all of our wild game is processed using Made With Meat equipment.
- 2lb ground alligator (10% – 15% pork fat added when processed)
- 1 white onion
- Bacon grease or Pork Lard
- 1 cup of water
- Equal parts of:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Flat Iron Pepper Co (Four Pepper Blend)
- Smoked Paprika
- Sea Salt
- Shredded Cheese of your choice
- Avocado Salsa (store-bought)
- Taco shells or tortillas (or both)
- Sour Cream
- Homegrown Cilantro
- Dice tomato and onion.
- Chop cilantro and set aside.
- Brown onion in bacon grease or pork lard until caramelized. Remove from pan and put in ground alligator and brown. Alligator meat browns VERY fast so keep an eye on it so that it does not burn.
- Once brown add 1oz of taco seasoning per pound of the alligator.
- Add water to achieve consistency.
- Bring to a boil then remove from heat and add onions back in and stir. Cover and let it fall in love for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s deal with the taco shells/tortillas……here’s a lifehack. Now, wet a CLEAN dish towel or several paper towels and wring out all water until damp. Lay tortillas on the towel(s) and pop in the microwave for a minute. This will steam your tortillas! You can also just put the hard taco shells in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove shells or tortillas from microwave and fill with a couple of spoonsful of seasoned alligator meat. Top with shredded cheese tomatoes, avocado salsa, sour cream, and cilantro. Season with pepper flakes to your taste.
ENJOY!!!!![wpurp-searchable-recipe]Gator Tacos – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]