Wanting to know how to pan fry trout? We’ve got you covered! Try cooking this recipe Creekside using whole brookies. Substitute lemon pepper in place of lemon, blend spices with flour ahead of time, save in a zip lock bag. Blend cornmeal and save in zip lock bag. Blend eggs with milk and freeze, they will thaw while fishing. Store oil in a wide mouth dry water bottle. (pour back into bottle when finished) Shake n Bake/pan fry. All’s you’ll need is at cast iron pan, spatula, and a good fire! Eat the meat off the skeleton like you would eat a corn on cobb.
Good Cooking, Chef Wutsch
- 2 lbs Trout fillets
- Juice of one Lemon
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 c Flour
- 4 Eggs
- ½ c Buttermilk
- 1 c Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 c White Cornmeal
- 1 pt Canola Oil
- Clean fish, fillet and cut into portion size, reserve.
- Combine spices, reserve. Blend cornmeal, reserve.
- Squeeze lemon juice on fish, season fish with spices.
- Dredge in flour knocking off excess flour. Dredge in buttermilk, dredge in cornmeal.
- In large skillet such as cast iron pan, heat the pan and then add oil and heat.
- Place breaded trout in hot oil, turn once.
- Remove and serve immediately with breaded green onions and tomatoes.
Use Panko bread crumbs, all one type cornmeal, or cornflake crumbs for breading mixture.
Any fish will work in place of trout.
Straight up eggs and a dash of water or milk works in place of the buttermilk egg wash.
Use lemon pepper instead of lemon juice.
Use avocado oil in place of canola oil. Bear fat works great too!
For smaller fish, gut, and leave head and tail attached.
Squeeze of lemon on fish before seasoning complements the flavor.
Bread some green onions and tomatoes utilizing all the ingredients, pan fry along with the trout and serve as accompaniment.
How to Pan Fry Trout Tips:
Pan Fry uses more oil than sauté and less oil than deep frying.
The oil should come up the sides of the fish about half way.
Turn only once, the more you play with it the less quality will result.