Do NOT pass this one up! I was actually with Chef Wutsch when he made this one up on the fly and provided the assist preparing the dish. This definitely does not count as “healthy” but damn it was good!
I had the opportunity to hunt a couple of days before clients showed up and had a wild pig, processed and ready for the kitchen. We put this together one late afternoon while all our guest were out hunting. It ruined my dinner because I ate the whole thing!
Video to recipe at the bottom of page.
Recipe by : Chef Wutsch
Pan Fried Boar & Brie
- Butter 2T
- Onion sliced 1C
- Leek slice 1ea
- Sweet White Wine 1C
- Heavy Cream 1C
- Flour 1C
- Eggs 6
- Milk 1/2C
- Panko Bread Crumbs 1pt
- Boar Cutlets 1lb
- RecTec Screamin Pig Rub 1T
- Beefsteak Tomatoes 2
- Asparagus 1/2lb
- Small individual Wheels of Brie Cheese -3
- Chives Chopped 2T
- Prepare sauce by sweating (cooking in their own juices) onion and half the leek in butter.
- Once translucent add wine and reduce
- Add cream and reduce to desired thickness and flavor.
- While sauce is cooking, blanch asparagus, (submerge in boiling water briefly, then shock in a bowl of ice water to stope the cooking process)and reserve.
- Set up Standard Breading Procedure. (Use plates or shallow dish for dredging)
- Prepare cutlets by thinly slicing medallions from a tender cut of hog.
- Cover medallions with saran wrap and lightly pound into cutlets.
- Slice tomatoes. Bread tomatoes, bread cutlets and reserve.
- Pan fry cutlets and tomatoes.
- Strain the hot oil and reserve.
- Dust second half of sliced leeks and crisp fry in hot oil. Reserve for garnish.
- Chop chives and reserve.
- Slice wheels of Brie in half directly across the middle of wheel so you will end up with six intact half wheels.
- To Assemble, place sauce on oven tempered plate, place asparagus on sauce, breaded cutlet on asparagus, top with fried tomato slice, top with cheese skin side down.
- Place in 500-degree oven or into broiler to melt cheese. Once cheese is melted, remove from oven, plates will be extremely hot. Garnish with crispy fried leek and chopped chives.
- Chef’s Tips: Slice cheese and leave at room temperature to help warm cheese so it doesn’t take long in oven to melt cheese.
- Make sure the sauce pan is twice as deep as the cream so it doesn’t boil over and start a fire.
- Don’t fry more than two batches in oil without straining the oil so the particles “floaties” don’t ruin the looks of your finished product.
- Use any desired spice blend you prefer.
- Substitute fresh mozzarella cheese in place of Brie.
- Substitute Wild Turkey breast for Boar meat.
- Substitute cornflake crumbs or fresh white bread crumbs for the panko bread crumbs.
Pan Fried Boar & Brie