I love this dish for so many reasons. First off it is quick,15 to 20 minutes from fridge to plate. Secondly it is easy. Most of the ingredients are purchased precut and are ready to go right out of the bag. Also, you only need one pan which makes cleanup a breeze as well. Most importantly though, it is healthy. Packed with vegetables and lean elk/venison these lettuce wraps are a tasty healthy option for any night of the week.
Recipe By Chef Lance Lewis
1 LB ground Elk/Venison
· 2 TBSP High Temp Neutral Oil (Avocado, Grape Seed, Canola)
· 1 Medium onion Diced
· ½ Cup shredded carrot
· ½ Cup Broccoli Slaw
· 6 to 8 button mushrooms sliced
· 8 oz can of Water chestnuts sliced
· Salt and Pepper to taste
· 1 head of butter lettuce of Romaine
· 2 Cloves of garlic minced
· 3 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
· 2 TBSP Soy Sauce
· 1 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
· 2 TBSP Red Pepper Flakes
In bowl add all ingredients for sauce and whisk until well blended and set to side. Taste sauce and adjust until flavors are balanced
· heat large skillet over medium high heat. Once heated add oil and ground Elk and onion.
· Once Elk and onions start to brown add remaining ingredients and continue to cook unit vegetables began to become tender.
· Add sauce and allow to simmer on low for 5 minutes
· Place mixture in lettuce and wrap.
· This flavorful mixture can be used in a verity of ways. It can be served over rice, rolled into egg roll wrappers or be mixed with Lo Mein noodles.[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Japanese Style Elk Lettuce Wraps – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]