This dish was amazing! Our friends Enrique and Rosita prepared this for us with a hog Enrique had hunted earlier in the week. Very simple to make and loaded with flavor, let us know if you try it.
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder roast, (cleaned, no fat, or connective tissue)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- Water as needed to cover pork
- Bring pork shoulder, onion, garlic, and 1 pkg taco seasoning to a boil in a pot with enough water to cover.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until tender (add water as needed to cover pork) about 2 or 3 hrs.
- Reduce liquid by ½ and reserve.
- Shred pork with a fork. Add reserved liquid to moisten.
- 2 cups pulled pork (recipe to follow)
- 1 cup reserved cooking liquid to moisten pulled pork
- 3-10 oz. cans enchilada sauce
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can diced chilies
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups guacamole
- 3 tomatoes (seeded and small diced)
- 10 medium size flour tortillas
- 1 bunch cilantro