Our favorite part of what we do? The people, we have the opportunity to meet some incredible people. December of 2020 we had the privilege of sharing elk camp with Chef Eduardo Garcia and his friend Tyler.
We met someone who is very passionate about food, the outdoors and self sustenance. We learned so much in a short amount of time and have since had the opportunity to try a few of his recipes, including his guacamole recipe that we prepared for this dish. Not only did we prepare Eduardo’s recipe but Eddie (my son) prepared it in the molcajete that Eduardo gifted him.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Quesadilla Recipe by Greg Ray
- 1lb ground elk (or any venison)
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- ½ Red Onion Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup Black beans
- 1 Jalapeño (We used Hatch Chili’s)
- 1 garlic clove
- Tortillas of your choice
- 1tbs Garlic Powder
- 1tbs black pepper
- 1tbs salt
- 1tbs smoked paprika
- 1tbs chili powder (we used MontanaMex)
- 1tbs MontanaMex Jalapeño spice blend
- 1tbs ground cumin
- 1tbs oregano
Chef Eduardo’s Guacamole
- 4 – Ripe avocados, halved, seeded and scooped out of skins
- 2 – Roma Tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- ½ – Red Onion, chopped
- 1 – Handful Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 – Limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon – Montana Mex Jalapeño Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon – Salt
- Mix all ingredients together, refrigerate and serve
- Add onion, peppers and garlic to hot pan with just a little bit of oil, sauté until onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- Push onion mixture to the side and add ground venison
- Season venison with spice blend to tast (Do not use entire batch of seasoning, save remaining seasoning in container with tight lid.
- Once venison is cooked add mixture of corn and black beans, heat thoroughly
- Heat second pan with small amount of olive oil add tortilla, layer with cheese first, then meat mixture and then another layer of cheese on top
- Fold tortilla in half covering the mixture and cook until golden brown on one side then flip and repeat for the other side.
- Cut tortillas into quarters and serve with cremefresh of your choice, guacamole and salsa.