(Made With Elk)
This southern classic is always a favorite at my house. It is the perfect quick meal on a busy weeknight and even better reheated at camp. A hearty patty and thick gravy served over mashed potatoes or rice is the perfect way to wrap up a day in the woods.
We used elk for this recipe but you can use any venison.
We use RecTec pellet smokers/grills for all of our outdoor cooking and all of our wild game is processed using Made With Meat equipment.
Recipe by Chef Lance Lewis
- 2 lb. of ground Elk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 1 stem fresh Thyme
- 2 cups of Beef Stock
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 Tbs flour
- 3 Tbs of high temp natural oil such as Canola, vegetable or avocado
- In large bowl combine ground elk, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and with hands kneed together until well incorporated.
- Once blended form into large patties
- Place patties in hot skillet until brown. This stage is only to sear. The remainder of the cooking will happen once patties are returned to gravy
- Sauté onions and mushrooms
- Once they start to soften and the onions become opaque sprinkle with 2 Tbs of flour. It is important to keep the mixture well stirred to not burn the flour.
- Once you see the flour began to change color and become a milk chocolate color add white wine
- Once white wine is added continue to stir with wooden spoon or high temp spatula until all the brown bits stuck to bottom of pan have been pulled up and wine reduces by half
- Add beef stock and return Hamburger patties to pan.
- Allow to simmer until desired thickness is reached
- Serve over Rice or potatoes. Also makes a great open face sandwich