It’s not every day that you change a recipe that a Chef puts together but Chef Wutsch is a pretty nice guy, plus he lives in Montana and I live in Oklahoma, so it would take him awhile to get to me!
Seriously the only thing I changed is, instead of using two pounds of ground venison, I replaced one pound with cubed eye of round. This gave each bite a little different texture and flavor. You can cube up any kind of wild game for this part of the recipe.
Recipe by Chef Wutsch
Prepared by Greg Ray
- Venison 2lbs (We used 1lb ground and 1 pound cubed Eye of Round)
- Sweet onion diced (1 cup)
- Paprika 2 tsp
- Chili powder 1T
- Garlic Powder 2tsp
- Black Pepper 1T
- Cumin ground 1tsp
- Celery seed 1tsp
- Tomatoes diced 1 14oz can
- Tomato sauce 1 can 8oz can
- Beef Broth 1- 14oz can
There are plenty of optional ingredients to add to this one. We also added some jalapeno, sweet peppers and pinto beans.
- Cornstarch 2T
- Sugar 1T
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Water 1/4 cup
Cubed Meat Seasoning
- Flour 1 cup
- RecTec Scramin Pig blend (Or your favorite spice blend)
- In skillet melt bacon fat add ground venison to brown
- Add onions to cook until translucent
- Add all Chili dry ingredients and mix
- Transfer to large pot for simmering
- In same skillet add a little oil and heat on medium to medium high
- Mix together flour and RecTec spice
- Dredge cubed meat in mixture until well coated
- Add to hot pan, careful to not over crowd pan (single layer only
- Brown meat and transfer to pot with ground meat.
- Add moist ingredients to pot
- Blend cornstarch, sugar and salt
- Add water and mix
- Add mixture to chili, bring to a boil
- Let simmer adjust consistency and flavor as needed.